The Santa Fe Irrigation District (SFID) Board met on August 21, 2014 to determine a response to the current statewide drought. The board unanimously approved a “level two” response, which places further water-use restrictions on customers served by the SFID. The restrictions only apply on certain days of the week depending on the customer’s address or type of residence.
Assigned Irrigation Schedule determined by the District:
- Addresses ending with an odd number – Sunday, Tuesday, and Thursday
- Addresses ending with an even number – Monday, Wednesday, Saturday
- Apartments, Condominiums & Businesses – Monday, Wednesday, and Friday
The following restrictions are effective starting September 5th:
- Irrigate landscape before 8 a.m. or after 6 p.m. on your assigned day.
- Limit lawn watering and landscape irrigation, using sprinklers, to no more than ten (10) minutes per watering station per assigned day. This provision does not apply to landscape irrigation systems using water-efficient devices, including but not limited to: weather-based controllers, drip/micro-irrigation systems, and stream rotor sprinklers.
- Stop water waste resulting from inefficient landscape irrigation, such as runoff, overspray, irrigating on a rainy day, or broken sprinkler heads, etc. Similarly, stop water flows onto non-targeted areas, such as adjacent property, non-irrigated areas, hardscapes, roadways, or structures.
- Irrigate nursery and commercial grower’s products before 10 a.m. and after 6 p.m. only. Watering is permitted at any time with a hand-held hose equipped with a positive shut-off nozzle, a bucket, or when a drip/micro-irrigation system/equipment is used. Irrigation of a nursery propagation bed is permitted at any time.
- Stop washing down paved surfaces, including but not limited to sidewalks, driveways, parking lots, tennis courts, or patios, except when it is necessary to alleviate safety or sanitation hazards.
- Use a hand-held hose equipped with a positive shut-off nozzle or bucket to water landscaped areas, including trees and shrubs located on the property that are not irrigated by a landscape irrigation system.
- Watering of livestock is permitted at any time.
- Wash vehicles using a bucket and hand-held hose with positive shut-off nozzle, mobile high pressure/low volume wash system, or at a commercial site that re-circulates (reclaims) water on-site. Avoid washing during hot conditions when additional water is required due to evaporation.
- Stop operating ornamental fountains or similar decorative water features unless recirculated or recycled water is used.
- Repair all water leaks within 72 hours of notification by the Santa Fe Irrigation District unless other arrangements are made with the General Manager.
- Use recycled or non-potable water for construction purposes when available.
- Serve and refill water in restaurants and other food service establishments only upon request.
- Offer guests in hotels, motels, and other commercial lodging establishments the option of not laundering towels and linens daily.
Penalties for Violations
The following is the penalty structure for violations of the mandatory water-use restrictions:
The SFID encourages customers to report run-off, violations, and direct questions by calling (858) 227-5801 or filling out a report form.